Love that quote, Darce! Now to run far...
Chris rolled over at 6:30 this AM and said, 'when are you getting up to run?' Not 'are you getting up to run?' but 'when?' I rolled out of bed and in a zombie state prepared to run all the while wondering how it would be possible. I just don't go to bed early enough for this crap. I grabbed the ipod and... (da, da, da, dum) the watch. No! Not the watch! Yes, the watch. All kids and husband still in bed, I snuck out the door.
I decided 3 miles would be a nice number for someone who hasn't been running as a form of working out in while. I timed them and it felt awesome to know the times while running a one-mile loop. The time made sense. Here's what I ran in order:
8:45
8:40
8:20
I have myself convinced that, in keeping with this pattern, I could run a sub-6 on my 26th mile. ROFL.
Nice workout.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Awesome times, Chica!! Much better to use the watch when you KNOW how far you're running. :-)
So, do you do a walk break after each mile? How long of a break do you take? I'm just trying to get the whole walk-break-thing figured out. :-)
No walk breaks today. It depends. I'm not on a schedule right now. Check out www.jeffgalloway.com for more info on his recommendations. The walk breaks are proportional to your experience/endurance as a runner. I believe Darcy mentioned to me at the beginning of this insanity that she planned 1 mile walk for every 3 miles run. Is that right, Darce? I'm totally winging it based on need right now as I haven't started doing the long runs yet. Hoping to start this Sun.
the ratio is in minutes. so I was planning on running 3 min walking 1. But its working out that I need a walk break about every mile or so. On harder days, or longer runs, I will probably use about 4:1 but in reality, I walk when I need to.
LOL on the sub-6 :)
That would be a marathon for the record books - totally negative splits and continuing to get lower!
I used to run 10, walk 1 (minutes) but also walk when you need to. The preventative walking before you feel the need to helps stretch your endurance out was my thinking.
Yeah, I had checked out that website before, but the whole "run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute" didn't make sense to me. It seems to me that you are just getting into your groove of running after 3 minutes & stopping at that point would just really throw things off. That's why I was wondering how you did it.
What you said, Malina, is what I did during the 15K after the first 3 miles -- I would run for 10 minutes & then walk for 1 minute. That worked out pretty well.
The idea is that for beginner runners to ramp up their mileage without injury or overtraining, the walk break gives their muscles a chance to recover, and in turn gives them the umph to get through the entire workout. If the beginner runner who has never logged at 10 mile run were to try to run continuously without breaks, they would fully deplete their glycogen stores and build in lactic acid, and probably wouldn't make the full 10 miles. The walk break in theory helps restore glycogen or energy in the muscles while alleviating the lactic acid build up. Galloway's theory is that you get the same fitness benefits in training the long runs with a run/walk approach, with less breakdown of the body.
In my brain, I still classify myself as beginner. Even though I'm probably more advanced beginner :-) I approach my long run training with respect, determination, and a little bit of fear.
After all, how much can one body take???
Post a Comment